Saturday, January 23, 2010

Gentle and Kind Souls

I had an unexpectedly good time today at the Gay Hiking Group Lunch.  As I sat there, the 'gayness' factor began to fade, for we were just a group of nice guys sitting around chatting.  I actually made a friend.  All were kind. I was particularly struck by the kindness of one man who helped the hearing-impaired man into the conversation by writing down notes on the restaurant paper napkins. This struck me as genuine, kind, and real.  To society who bad mouths homosexuals, I would like to say that these acquaintances today were furthest from the stereotype.  One particular guy I actually hope a friendship will form. We have common academic interests, and he struck me as thoughtful, humble, kind, and gentle.  Really, I say to society: Wake Up and Get Real, Folks.  Don't let homophobia prevent you from exploring new frontiers, and don't let unfounded fears create societal barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment