Monday, February 28, 2011

LGBT Networking Bonanza Plans

i know social networking is all the shit right now.. but hesitate because it seems so self-serving.... putting yourself out there, by nature, is a way of telling people to 'look at me, look at me'. but, if one needs to succeed in a 'social' sense, does one need to succeed at the social networking skills as well?

if i were to go all out, i would need to purchase an i-phone; boost up my facebook page to post all my interests, favorite tunes, movies, etc. i would need to connect as much as possible to any facebook page that had any relevance to my hobbies, etc.....  i would then need to re-design my match.com profile, to highlight my best photos, best experiences.. and make sure i really sell myself, on the first title, the first paragraph... to make myself stand out. maybe i can use some of the skills from my grant writing class in order to sell myself. i need a theme. i need to know my audience. i need a 'hook' sentence...

i could set up a d-list profile.... which is a special networking site for gay guys.... i could do the same thing on that as well.

so, say i do go all out on this. do i lose my spiritual center? do i become egotistical? do i become lost in trying to sell myself to others, and not pay attention to who i really am?

i do not necessarily want to become part of the 'social media rat race'; but at the same time, like i discovered today on my facebook connections to another nice gay man, why can't i at least try to network a little bit more to see if i can succeed in exanding my lbgt network? what do i have to lose? i am up for the challenge.

the tasks would be
a) update my match.com with relevant photos; better profile summary; a hook sentence.
b) start to friend more FB pages of my interests; see if i can find any other "intersections"
c) update my fb profile to list my interests; movies; quotes, etc....

i guess the more people rely upon social media to get to know somebody.... before actually 'knowing' them, perhaps i need to throw my hat into the ring?  this would be for purposes of networking for lgbt, not other friends......... it would be a defined purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, this whole being gay thing sounds like it's a second job! Hopefully you are well compensated.

    ReplyDelete