Monday, September 5, 2011

Random Skybar: WTF?

I feel like I am in 'no man's land' with no instruction book. What gives?  My first earnest attempt to get myself out there into the gay scene consequently ends up with my leaving the gay bar with a *girl* to go out for  drinks and appetizers. Needless to say, nothing happened (well..... actually... just some innocent kissing and boob touching), except for a rip roaring headache this morning spinning with confusion and frustration saying 'WTF?'

The evening's events most likely transpired in this way because a) I felt much more comfortable hanging out with this girl compared to the other guys at the gay bar; b) I was a little buzzed; c) the girl liked me; d) I half-thought that maybe I would be attracted to her. Parts C and D were the clinchers, I believe.  The first problem was she liked me, and was only somewhat convinced I was gay.  The second problem was I liked her on at least a platonic level, and I wanted to think I was attracted to her, especially if she had doubts that I was gay. Perfect combination for an awkward evening of drinks and appetizers at the swankiest bar in town: Hyatt Skybar.

The first stop of the evening was her apartment, so she could change into her little black dress. Since I'm gay, of course, she invites me into her room as she proceeds to bare it all.  Bummer that I wasn't horny for her.... really a bummer... because I was rationalizing out loud with her on the car ride to her apartment that I perhaps was not gay. In hindsight, it was a totally absurd conversation. Why am I speaking with a complete stranger about my sexual orientation?

Since we did not end up having sex, in this situation in which many other straight guys most likely would have done, I felt a bit of disappointment in air between us, which led to some awkwardness.  I felt a bit depressed that I couldn't do more for her, and I couldn't tell if she was disappointed in me for that very thing. Nonetheless, we ended up going on this 'date' to the Skybar, and upon arriving, she bumps into the guy she hooked up with the night before.

Awkward, funny, and random.

WTF was I doing at Skybar with a girl who just got naked in front of me 15 minutes prior to that? I half-wanted to just go home, because I felt she was trying to lead me on despite my insistence on being gay. It was a very weird experience. I wish I could say it was 'hot, spontaneous, and fun', but I guess because I'm gay, it was 'weird, random, and fun, with a little awkwardness mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment