Sunday, June 20, 2010

Parallel Dreams of Past and Present Reveal Truths

I am curious as to whether dreams, deep thoughts, and contemplation become more intense during life's transitions.  As I settle into my new town, I have not only started to accept more my sexuality, but I am more willing to embrace it.  With this new mindset comes vivid dreams that link my past insecurities with the present, in a way, confirming my path toward self-actualization.  It is quite striking, in fact.  The dreams I had last night were reminiscent of the erotic dreams I had when I was in my 20's, in fact the same characters and similar situations.  Furthermore, they were the exact same individuals with whom I had fantasies about in real life, growing up as a teenager.  In past dreams, the fantasy was truncated at a certain point.  Recent dreams, the fantasies continue.  My hypothesis is that as I reach my own truths, my repressions erode.  This fading away of my repressive self is reflected in my dreams.  It really is quite amazing the more I think about it.  Two particular individuals have been constantly present in my gay dreams, and have represented in the past, my ambivalence toward my sexual orientation.  The past dreams, the longings would feel real, and present, but the actions would not go far.  In contrast, the present dreams I have the confidence to go further to pursue the actions associated with the desires.  I am fascinated by the contrasts in these dreams of my past versus the present, for they represent a maturation in my acceptance of my sexuality.  They mark a clear progression, I believe, in my ability to move forward and have some self-confidence about my  next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment