Sunday, April 3, 2011

Being a Graceful and Appreciative 'Receiver'

It is my spiritual reflection week.. so .. it is time to ponder some deep things in life...

Why is receiving harder than giving? No, I am not meaning in the context of gay sex.... at least I haven't really thought of it that way..... I am meaning in the sense of gifts, advice, and life in general.  Receiving something, say advice, with grace, takes admitting your are vulnerable and actually need the help. I often misinterpret advice from some people in my life as nagging, which then gets me in trouble because I cannot recognize it as advice.....  I need to try to improve this about myself. I think I get defensive with the people closest to me, and look at the advice as thinking I did something wrong in the first place, and then kinda get pissed off. Or, in situations where I'm not necessarily looking for advice, and I receive it,,, I can see it was a little off putting... So, this, I need to try to change.. I need to at least try to recognize that advice or comments by others is not necessarily a bossing around, but as free advice to try to improve my life. 

So apart from being a 'graceful receiver', another important aspect is making sure the other person knows that you appreciate the advice they gave you, otherwise, they'll feel unappreciated.  First, it's important to 'receive' because it shows the gift-giver that you appreciate theirr help, and their gifts, talents, etc. Second, it's important to recognize that it was a gift, and thank them for it, so that they know they are special, and have gifts to give you.  By recognizing the giver, appreciating them, and receiving the gifts....... in a graceful and appreciative manner... this affirms to the gift-giver that they are loved, appreciated, and have talents to contribute to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment