Saturday, April 23, 2011

Using Wordle to Analyze Your Own Blogs

My life in words and in art... I have found a therapy which goes beyond words, and combines analysis, artistry, and poetry into one.  I decided that I wanted to use Wordle to summarize parts of my coming out blog; and within that, I was able to change the number of words that it displays. So, I could take 3 months of my life.. the first 3 months fo my coming out experience, and summarize my blog in 1, 5, 25, 125, 625 words, etc.... how ever many words I want, and it reduces it down to the essence of the thoughts I was putting onto paper.

The results are not only fascinating, but poetic. Reducing 3 turbulent months into 5 words was quite telling, and from an outsider's perspective, one would be able to tell me that I definitely was gay, and just coming to terms with my needs for a man, a relationship, for connection, and for love.. all within the context of feeling sexual and needy. I would be curious, now, to see how these word clouds change over time....

Now, I feel like creating 'poetic word cloud art' that summarizes my blogs, my life, my experience... and turns it into a poetic and artistic journey. I am so thrilled with this new discovery of how to blend my soul, art, and poetry into one that I find it almost revolutionary.... almost a tool that could be used to analyze somebody's progress from one state to another.... a tool for therapy, in fact....

For somebody who is intruiged with words, self-reflection, and analysis... this is a treasure trove resulting in systematic insights that could go on forever, with all sorts of combinations. Here are some potential comparisons:

a) wordle over the entire course of an intervention; and summarize in different cloud densities. you can see the development in different shades of detail, with respect to the words being used.
b) wordle "pre" vs. "post" to see if you have any differences...... and then in here, do different densities of word clouds to describe the essence of different situations.
c) vary your time frames.. to see if you have 'changes' over time (a time series analysis, in essence).

No comments:

Post a Comment