Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Fruitfulness of On-Line Encounters

Interesting encounters on the chat rooms. I met a model. And we chatted for a while, and got to know each other. Yes, he was pretty good looking. I thought it was pretty cool that a model wanted to even chat with me.  Also, I continue to chat weekly with a friend of mine in Canada. We are becoming close. I do not know where it will go, but he is a really good guy. I can honestly say we are building a trusting, real friendship as pen-pals.  Who would have ever thought. I'm also having some luck with some guys on Craigs List who are not sketchy, one is a med student.

So, I break all my own stereotypes.. that CL and perhaps chat rooms can lead to fruitful, and healthy outcomes.. but you have to be careful, patient, and discerning.  I guess the "medium" through which you meet somebody does not matter, as long as the connection itself is safe, healthy, and fun.... is what counts..

The adventure continues as I comb for dates with dudes; new gay friends on-line.  I continue to be encouraged meeting masculine dudes, who do not fit the gay stereotype that society does so well in perpetuating.  I'm starting to have fun, almost :)

Moving to a new city will also help me greatly.  I can make a break with this town, move to another, and create a new life.  This town was my practice run.  Next city: I can bring my skills with me... Watch out world...  here I come...

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Seriously was I that naive, or was I just talking myself into something that felt good? Navigating Craigs List is like going through a fucking Mine Field...... and anything online... it's a bunch of crap. Leads nowhere, and so many A-holes out there. I had faith in my friend for a good while, but then realized that his behaviors toward me led me to getting angry and upset.. which was ridiculous. I was putting way too much stock in him, into 'us'.. We did become close.. and he would still want to talk to me if I texted him... but I feel weary of getting emotionally attached to him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have in essence ended communication with my cyber-pal in Canada. Mostly, the friendship was driving me to be upset at him.. I had so many expectations toward him, as if I was turning it into some type of relationship. It was doomed to end.... sad in a way, because he really was friendly.. but at the same time, I felt used and put out to dry..... it was not even a friendship worth building, because I never saw the 'brick and mortar' so to speak, starting to materialize. Efforts to call on phone, making plans to visit... were always met with excuses, delays, and forgetfulness. It was a sign from the beginning, but I guess in my own way, patterns that I even display in 'real' friendship, I continued to push to try to make the situation right. It's even easier to do that in the cyber world. Unfortunately, cyber world friendships still lead to 'real world' emotions. My anxiety and angst toward the friendship was not 'cyber', it was truly real, with all it's gory three dimensions.

    ReplyDelete