Sunday, November 29, 2009

Toxic Promiscuity

In my recent conversations with new friends online, I can see how promiscuity, in any form, heterosexual, or homosexual, in person, or on the internet...can result in jealousy, betrayal, distrust, erosion of a relationship.  I am dumbfounded of some of the viewpoints of guys I have befriended.....seeming, in my opinion, to muddle the lines between sex, friendship, and love. Sex is so integrated with love, that I cannot understand how sex without love cannot damage.  I've been challenged in a way to think more open-minded though.. in that: is having sex OK if it is love, but not romantic love? What if those individuals have both consented, and care about each other as friends, and agree to sexual relations? They still care for eachother, right? And having sex is simply an extension of physical affection, even within a non-romantic loving relationship? Does that mean hookups in the absence of relationships are OK? Or, having "friends with benefits" makes sexual relations OK, even if it hurts those friends who care about you? Many questions to ponder. Despite my supposed gayness, I will still stick to monogamous relationships.  Or, more precisely, if I end up in a relationship that leads to physical intimacy, I would never think about having sex with a separate person outside of that relationship I have built.  I want to be with a partner who also believes the same.  The act of sex outside the loving relationships (i.e: cheating) cheapens the special bond created between two lovers, and results in an erosion of trust and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment