Wednesday, February 24, 2010

City 1 versus City 2: Head-to-Head. Survey Says?!......

I am pleased with how I have pulled out the resources of researching each city for my job search. First, I researched the Meetup.Com listings.  This gave me a pulse of each city with respect to my interests, such as the gay scene, the hiking/camping, ballroom dancing, and dog friendly activities.  I also got a huge amount of information about the Catholic Young Adult Group activities in either city, and was impressed with the offerings of the Archdiocese in City #1 especially Ministry for Catholic Young Adults.  It is a very active group, and participates in many faith-building community events and activities.  The City #2 Catholic scene is very impressive.  Their retreats go to places like... um..... the Mountains!!!  National State Parks, and such.  Wow. Undeniably cool.

City #2 gay scene is very diverse and full of multiple resources.  They are a city in a very progressive state, a state which has recently passed a statute allowing some select rights for same-sex couples.  I already found 3 different outdoor/hiking-specific gay groups.. which is very encouraging.  Plus, city #2 has actual community centers (which look pretty hip); which suggests a welcoming and embracing of gay community.

The other resource I am finding to be useful is Craiglist.  I posted on "men for men: romance", and "men for men: platonic", to put out feelers for the gay scene in either city. Thus far, one person wrote back and says that City #1 gay scene sucks.  Well, that's what I get from looking online.  Compared to City #2, City #1's gay scene looks pretty dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment