Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Same-Sex Marriages

It is absolutely infuriating to me to hear the arguments of the anti-gay marriage lobbyists.  If I had ever met them in person, and had to listen to their opinions, somebody would have to hold me back from clocking the guy in the face.  What gives the state the right to define who enters into legal union without one another? Seriously.  Give me the proof that says homosexual unions erode family values. Where is the empirical evidence? Do they just use their moral theology to make this claim, or do they have evidence that demonstrates the presence of homosexual marriages erode family values and traditions of America?

This fires me up just thinking about it. How can a heterosexual lawmaker, lobbyist, or advocate even feel or empathize for a gay man or woman who has a longing in their heart for true love? Who are they to take this over and decide who gets legal rights and who does not? It's absolutely infuriating, how the State attaches legal boundaries to love.

As a man struggling with his sexuality, I am a firm believer in the state granting rights to gay couples..... I would compromise if needed, to call it a "union" instead of a "marriage", just to stop the bickering. But, I would absolutely not compromise on rights such as adoption of children to gay couples, health proxy rights, and property issues.  These are the legal issues that would be important for any couple. Why give this gold standard only to a heterosexual couple?

When will America wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment