Saturday, August 28, 2010

CL Trolling and Latin Line Cooks

Ok, so I've turned down my temperature and my expectations, and have now turned to the more traditional ways of getting to know people: going on dates. In my new environs, I have been successful in connecting with some guys in Craig's List 'Platonic Section'... which means, the motive is perhaps a date first, then see what comes from that.  I did have a pleasant time with City Planner Dude.. a nice fellow with a graduate degree in city planning, who worked for a local township.  We ate at a classy restaurant, and had good conversation and laughter.  This was a step in the right direction.  Although we did not have another date, it did feel relatively 'normal' as far as dates with gay men are concerned. LOL.

The next date, I was a bad boy and ditched. I had the protection of anonymity, since both of us did not know for whom we were looking.. which made it easier to ditch when I thought I saw the guy who could have been my date.  It just was not going to happen. I left, and ran home to my beloved and loyal dog, and ate ice cream on the couch. That was a much better option.

The next date, I was actually looking forward to, somewhat, although I was naturally guarded because of my past experiences. A man was very eager to meet with me.. English was his second language I believe.  He sounded very nice, and worked as a line cook part time at several restaurants around town. Oh, and he was very excited to meet me... his over enthusiastic emails over the course of 1 week demonstrated his eagerness.... which, in a way, was endearing, despite his broken English.  I conjured up visions of my Latin Line Cook, wondering what my Saturday night date was going to ensue.

Well, you know what happens often on Craigs List (CL)? We forgot to take the 'photo test' before we started to correspond over a longer period of time. I show my photo after 1 week of emails... he disappears from CyberSpace. Latin Line Cook Lover becomes Asshole.

Because I have become more seasoned at CL Trolling, this was not a surprise to me; in fact, it was a welcomed conclusion to a dinner that could have been extra awkward.  I am reminded of one of the most egregious ditchings of my gay dating life..... I was to meet a very handsome man for dinner.  After he asked me out, made the reservations and suggested a restaurant, I got stood up.... not only ONCE but TWICE....... even after re-scheduling the date, he ditched me date number two.  This was a lesson to me, that the CL Gay Scene can be full of tricksters and assholes you cannot trust, and one needs to be very street smart.

So, in summary: cheers to Latin Line Cook who, to my relief, refused to commit to the date.  I can hardly wait to see what happens when I go to one of his restaurants in a couple weeks for a happy hour with some friends.  Will he know who I am?  (hoo-hooo--haaa-haaa-haaaa-hhaaa) (Intonate this as an Evil Laugh)

No comments:

Post a Comment