Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stages of Coming Out

IIdentity
Confusion
Sees self as member of mainstream group. Denial of inner feelings.Who am I?Am I different?

IIIdentity
Comparison
Begin to come out of the "fog."Maybe I am gay.I'm alone.
What are gay people like?

IIIIdentity
Tolerance
Encounter someone or something that breaks through the denial system.I accept the possibility that I may be gay.Where are other gay people?

IVIdentity
Acceptance
Exploring subculture activities, readings, etc.I am gay.Am I okay?
I can come out to some people.

VIdentity
Pride
Feel arrogance/pride in new identity and deep rage toward majority culture. May adopt/heighten stereotypical behaviors or characteristics (i.e. "I'm different and proud of it!". May isolate self from mainstream values and activities.I am proud to be gay.I don't (and won't) pass for straight.

VIIdentity
Synthesis
Acceptance and integration of new identity. May go through five stages of grief to let go of old identity and all advantages of heterosexual privilege. Internalize pride/positive feelings about identity. Typically is "out" (with friends, family, at work). More at peace with self.I am an okay person who happens to be gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment